The proliferation of digital and emerging electronic mediums has catapulted House music from its Chicago roots into a global power influencing dance, fashion and media. The Beat Goes On: The Evolution of House Music in Chicago will honor the pioneers, explore the origins, exhibit original artifacts and critique the future of House music and its evolution to EDM.
Sculptures and Preparatory Works exhibition seeks to explore the space between process and product., unveiling the work that goes into creating art. Artist Michael Ferris Jr. will exhibit his completed sculptures alongside the objects, drawing, and schematics that led to their making. This display of works seek to demystify and make visible the art making process with these intricate and larger than life sculptures.
2013 – 2014 Dittmar Gallery Exhibits
- 9/9-10/20: AWAY FROM HOME: by Eun-Kyung Suh
- 10/25-12/10: THE INSTITUTE FOR ENCYCLOPEDIA AMALGAMATION: by J Thomas Pallas
- 1/10-2/9: HUB: by Amanda Burnham
- 2/15-3/28: BITTERSWEET HARVEST
- 4/4-5/11: NEW AMERICANS: OUR MUTUAL IMPROVEMENT & SOCIAL ELEVATION: by Jason Patterson
- 5/16-6/12: NORTHWESTERN ART THEORY & PRACTICE SENIOR EXHIBITION
- 6/18-7/2: THE BEAT GOES ON: THE EVOLUTION OF HOUSE MUSIC IN CHICAGO:
by Lauren G Lowery and Charles Matlock
- 7/10-8/12: SCULPTURES AND PREPARATORY WORKS: by Michael Ferris Jr.