NU Galleria’s 2013 “Essay on Metal” Exhibit
This exhibit, by Nana Ohene-Adu, it of Chicago and surrounding neighborhoods.
“In the Fall of 2011, I purchased my first ever DSLR with the aim of capturing memories of my senior year of college. Concurrently, I was dealing with a hand problem, where my hands would routinely go cold and tingle, sometimes painfully. I had to suspend a lot of the activities I loved to do, like playing the piano and training Capoeira. As life would have it, one of the few things I could do without triggering these symptoms is photography. It soon transformed from a way of merely capturing memories to something more: it became a way to explore the world around me, and sweet respite from the hardships and cares of life.
Essay On Metal is a compilation of pictures I took this past year as I walked around with my camera. The pictures here are of scenes that caused me to pause and wonder. They are a catalog of my quiet moments; times when I was able to slow down enough to enjoy the beauty of the moment, sometimes alone, sometimes with friends. I hope these stills compel you to slow down as well, and share these moments with me, and perhaps, leave with a new sense of wonder.”
NU Galleria: Your Space to Exhibit
Do you have something to share? E-mail email@example.com to submit your artwork. (Must be an NU student or recent alum. Each exhibit will be on display between 1 – 2 weeks)
Guidelines for using NU Galleria:
- You may begin installing your exhibit after 5PM on the first Monday of your exhibition.
- Your exhibit must be removed from the space before 5PM on the final day of your exhibition.
- The NU Galleria will provide Gold and Silver “ L” hooks, Nails, Thumbtacks, Hammers, Levels and a Tape Measure to assist in the installation of your exhibit. Any additional hardware must be acquired yourself.
- All materials lent by the NU Galleria must be returned by 5PM on the final day of your exhibition.
- To gain access to the NU Galleria materials, you must come to ARTica Studios in the basement of Norris and check out the toolbox. A member of the ARTica or Dittmar Staff will give you the toolbox. You must return the toolbox as soon as you have completed your work in the space.
- The NU Galleria is comprised of 6 panels, each of the 9 feet Tall by 4 feet Wide. Please provide enough materials to adequate fill the entire space. You may not reserve only half the space.
- Please make sure all of your materials are removed from the space and that the space is clean after you leave. All hardware and paper must be removed from the walls and the floors surrounding the panels must be clear.
- Remember that this space is for all to view and enjoy. Please do not display any subject matter that could be construed as offensive.
- The NU Galleria is first and foremost an artistic space. While we encourage you to promote your activities, ideas and organizations please keep the spirit of art at the forefront.
- Please keep in mind the very public nature of the NU Galleria. There is no Risk Management guarantee for the NU Galleria. You are displaying your art at your own risk.
- In order to maintain your reservation with NU Galleria, you must provide at least 2 sample images and some ideas about your exhibit to the Dittmar Gallery staff no later than 1 week before you scheduled exhibition time.